WHO WE ARE
Industrials is a subsidiary of Stenprop, a listed property company. We own and manage more than 70 industrial estates around the UK which are home to more than 800 small-to-medium-size businesses. Our mission is to become the leading multi-let industrial business in the UK and we are passionate about revolutionising multi-let industrial property to make it work better for our customers. We do this by offering our customers high-quality business space that is supported by the highest level of customer service so that they can concentrate on running their businesses.
Full time role based in either London or Stockport
We are looking for a full-time development manager to identify, plan and deliver significant capital improvement projects across our UK wide estate. Reporting to the Investment, this is a fantastic opportunity for a high quality development professional to join a growing and leading company in the industrial sector where they will be able to establish and take responsibility for their business area and bring a new skillset to bear within the business. Working across a portfolio of over 75 estates spread across the UK, the role will be focused on the largest projects and asset management opportunities, ranging from reconfigurations and extensive refurbishment of existing estates through to ground-up development of new industrial space.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Requirements
- Degree qualification or equivalent supplemented by training in building sciences, construction, architecture, civil engineering and/or town planning;
- At least 5 years’ experience in a development role within commercial real estate;
- Sound understanding of the full development lifecycle with demonstrable experience of delivering successful development projects on time and budget;
- Experience and/or confidence in running development projects independently, without the need for day-to-day supervision or guidance;
- A comprehensive understanding of market analysis, development feasibility analysis (using cash flows), approval processes, planning, development management and construction;
- Experience in negotiating contracts, managing consultants and overseeing 3rd party suppliers;
- Strong organisational skills to enable working on multiple projects simultaneously whilst ensuring that key stakeholders are kept informed and successful delivery is not compromised;
- A creative problem-solver who knows when to act independently yet consults senior management when necessary and well in advance of crisis situations with foresight and integrity;
- Strong communication skills and a team player who takes an interest and wants to play an important part in the success of the wider business.
- Experience in the construction and improvement of multi-let industrial property;
- An interest and curious attitude towards the application of technology and data in development.
- Management of development/refurbishment projects from inception through to completion, typically ranging in value from £500,000 to £5,000,000, on time and budget;
- Project feasibility analysis, business plans and reporting;
- Sourcing, negotiating terms and appointing suitable professional teams and contractors for each project and monitoring subsequent performance;
- Ensuring regulatory compliance in terms of construction and health & safety;
- Liaising and reporting to internal stakeholders in the analysis, approval, planning, funding and execution of projects;
- Leading external teams from the planning stage through to delivery;
- Managing multiple projects simultaneously around the UK;
- Responsibility for periodic reporting on projects to Stenprop Operations Committee;
- Close working relationship with our Minor Works Manager to ensure alignment in approach,
coverage and knowledge sharing across all OPEX and CAPEX projects;
- Working with the Head of Investment in appraising and underwriting potential acquisition opportunities which have development angles;
The Development Manager will report directly into the Head of Investment, but will work closely with the Head of Asset Management, Head of Finance and Managing Director.
The Development Manager will be assessed on the following:
- Project execution on time and budget from inception through to development approvals, construction and handover;
- Project financial success vs underwriting;
- The successful identification and prioritisation of development opportunities working alongside the Heads of Investment and Asset Management;
- Effective teamwork and problem-solving that connects project management with the wider Industrials operating business and corporate objectives.
Salary and discretionary bonus are appraised annually with quarterly performance reviews.
- This is a full-time role based in either London or Stockport;
- Regular travel around the UK will be required;
- UK driving licence and access to a car required;
- Salary is negotiable depending upon the person;
- Comprehensive package of pension, health and life insurance included.