Small Business Rates relief is a government incentive to help small businesses by reducing their business rates liability across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Each country has its own variation to assist small businesses. If you are eligible, your business rates could be reduced to zero but this is not given automatically and you do have to apply.
To qualify in England you can only occupy one property. If you occupy more than one, the rateable value of each other property must be less than £2,900 and your total portfolio rateable value must be less than £20,000 (£28,000) in London. If you own more than one property and still qualify you will only receive rates relief on your largest property.
- Properties with Rateable Value of less than £12,000 could receive 100% rates relief
- Properties with Rateable Value of between £12,000 and £15,000 could receive a tapered percentage relief up to receiving no relief for properties of £15,000
- Properties with Rateable Value of £0 to £6,000 could receive 100% rates relief
- Properties with Rateable Value of £6,000 to £12,000 could receive a tapered percentage relief up to receiving no relief for properties of £12,000
- Property portfolios with a Rateable Value of less than £15,000 will receive 100% relief
- Property portfolios with a Rateable Value of between £15,000 and £18,000 will receive 25% relief
- Property portfolios with a Rateable Value of between £18,000 and £35,000 will receive 25% relief on properties with a Rateable Value less than £18,000
- Properties with a NAV (Northern Ireland equivalent of Rateable Value) of £2,000 will receive 50% relief
- Properties with a NAV of between £2,000 and £5,000 will receive 25% relief
- Properties with a NAV of between £5,000 and £15,000 will receive 20% relief
If you believe you are entitled to SBRR, you can contact your billing authority (see your rates bill), which will send you an application form to fill in and send back.
Can we help you?
If you are unsure or need advice contact Industrials, which has a dedicated business rates department and will be able to advise you on your situation.
Remember there are other reliefs you may be entitled to. We can also carry out a free appraisal of your Rateable Value as it may be inaccurate.
Industrials work in partnership with Harris Lamb on all aspects of business rates.