Assistant Asset Manager
- Job Title: Assistant Asset Manager
- Reports to: Asset Manager
- Location: Stockport with option for hybrid working. Frequent travel across our assets in the North of England
- Date: July 2022
We believe in The Power of Space. Space to work, to think, to evolve, to grow and to succeed. We focus on delivering a quality experience for our customers by creating a straightforward, supportive, transparent and a frictionless process.
Industrials REIT is multi-let industrial property company listed on the London Stock Exchange and the Johannesburg Stock Exchange. We own and operate a diversified portfolio of purpose built multi-let industrial (MLI) properties across the UK. We have offices in London and Stockport, and own and manage more than 100 industrial estates which are home to over 1,500 customers.
We have invested in a technology-driven market-leading operating platform called Industrials Hive to support the gradual digitalisation and improvement of our customer experience and to drive occupancy and income. This platform covers all elements of our business, from marketing through to leasing, and from property management through to finance. We use it to deliver value and growth opportunities for all our stakeholders.
We are a friendly team, where everyone receives a warm welcome in a sociable environment and where even the most senior members are approachable and accessible.
At Industrials, it is natural to be genuinely inclusive and supportive – understanding, encouraging and reassuring each other, and looking for ways to nurture and inspire colleagues when they need help. This is the basis of wellbeing within our organisation. We care, and we show we care.
A collaborative approach prevails, with an emphasis on trust, transparency, and accountability, supporting clear communication and effective co-operation. A problem shared is a problem halved. All our work is teamwork.
We take pride in what we do, showing resilience and determination when the going may get tough. We do what we say we will do, which earns us credibility, externally and internally.
In everything we do, we aim to be innovative, using imagination and forward thinking to develop original, progressive – even unconventional – projects and initiatives.
We are results-driven, always motivated to improve our performance and achieve the best possible outcome for us and our customers. We often need to find new ways of working, which means we must be inquisitive – always learning new skills, gaining more knowledge and absorbing new ideas. This is how we grow and evolve, as individuals and as a business.
Above all, we are ambitious. We see clearly where we are heading and remain orientated towards our targets and goals.
The Assistant Asset Manager will join us at an exciting time of our business growth and internalisation of the property and facilities management work-streams. You will work within the Asset Management team to deliver a seamless customer experience by playing a crucial role between our customers, Facilities Management, Finance and Asset Management teams. The role is key to the strategic management plan of the company by bringing in house the Property and Facilities management teams and will focus on a portion of MLI properties across the UK.
- Reading and interpreting lease documentation
- Reviewing tenancy data and improving the quality of lease data held. This includes information about our customers and their leases – key lease events, contractual obligations and financial apportionments for insurance and service charges
- Support both onboarding and off-boarding of lease contracts and associated duties including the management of completion or closing statements by engaging with the Accounts Team
- Help us ensure that our document library remains up to date
- Work with the Facilities Management Team and Asset Managers in the preparation of the service charge budgets
- Liaise with the Accounts Team to approve service charge budgets as well as ensuring that they are apportioned appropriately
- Supporting the Accounts Team with customer billing by approving rent, service charges and insurance charges in advance of issue • Working with the Asset Manager and the Credit Controllers to manage arrears and debt recovery
- Managing insurance claims and oversight of remedial works with the support of the Facilities Management Team
- Supporting the administration of rates payable, particularly in relation to changes of liability between Industrials and our Customers
- Build positive relationships with our customers through regular meetings to ensure a high level of customer care. Working alongside the Asset Manager to act as a point of escalation for service related issues, general Landlord & Customer liaison and any contractual disputes
- Arranging and undertaking property inspections of common estate areas and units as and when required
- Lead customer applications for alienation or unit level alterations
- Identify any contractual breaches with the support of the Facilities Management team. This might include mid-term repair, end of term dilapidations, non-payment of charges due under the lease or breaches of user restrictions
- Supporting customers with valid insurance claims with the support of the Facilities Management team
- Supporting the Asset Manager when we acquire or dispose of assets
- Supporting the Asset Manager and the Facilities Management Team in the management of vacant property to ensure that units are ready to let
- Supporting the Asset Manager with transactional work. This may include new lettings lease renewals, rent reviews and re-gear opportunities where required
- Supporting the Asset Manager with value add or capital expenditure schemes where feasible
- Supporting the Asset Manager by liaising with third parties such as local planning authorities, in respect of easements & wayleaves, telecoms, and in relation to any legal issues
- Supporting the Asset Manager in pursuing Industrials sustainability objectives
ROLE WITHIN THE TEAM
This is a truly collaborative role, and the Assistant Asset Manager will work with:
- Asset and Senior Asset Managers
- Facilities Managers
- Accounts Team and Credit Controllers
- A range of external third parties – agency partners, solicitors, building surveyors and project managers
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A relevant degree, working toward the MRICS qualification or recently qualified
- A good understanding of property and asset management
- Proficient with all main applications in the MS Office environment. Experience in using CRM systems would be beneficial
- A UK Driver’s License is essential as well as access to a car
KEY CANDIDATE ATTRIBUTES
- A strong work ethic and tenacity to get the job done in a timely manner and to a high standard
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and juggle priorities effectively
- A team player who can work professionally with a wide range of third-party service providers
- A strong understanding of Landlord and Tenant legislation and the ability to apply this knowledge to occupational scenarios • Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- A pro-active attitude to conduct frequent face-to-face customer meetings
- Strong attention to detail
- Good dispute resolution skills and an understanding of the importance of customer service
- Willingness to travel frequently
- Willingness to work with new technologies to improve the business’ operational efficiency
SALARY AND PACKAGE
Competitive salary with discretionary performance linked bonus. Additional benefits include pension, health, and life insurance.